Tag des Brotes - World bread day
(picture via http://www.tag-des-brotes.de/)
Today is world bread day and what could be more German than a whole day praising the glories of bread.
It is no news that Germans are totally obsessed with bread. There are about 300 different types of bread produced in Germany, which doesn’t even include the over 1200 types of other pastries prepared here.
It’s not unusual for Germans to eat bread as the star ingredient of their meals in the morning, in the evening and also in their lunch break in form of a Stulle. And there definitely is not a single German person who doesn’t complain about the quality of bread when visiting other countries.
We love bread so much, we even have a tv show with bread as the main character. Meet Bernd das Brot, the always depressed bread:
(Bernd das Brot/ ©kika.de)
With all that passion for baked goods, it is no wonder that bread also found its way into numerous German expressions.
Here is a list of German idioms and expressions using bread and buns metaphors:
- der Brötchengeber (lit.: the bread giver) - the employer
- die Brötchen verdienen (lit.: to earn the buns) - to bring home the bacon; to be the one who earns the money
- ein Zubrot verdienen (lit.: to earn an additonal bread) - to earn a bite on the side
- sich nicht die Butter vom Brot nehmen lassen (lit.: to not let others rob the butter off your bread) - to put up with anything
- jemandem etwas aufs Brot schmieren (lit.: to smear s.o. s.th. on the bread) - to keep rubbing it in; to (repeatedly) reproach s.o. with s.th.; to show off sth. to s.o.
- wes’ Brot ich ess, des’ Lied ich sing (lit.: whose bread I eat, whose song I sing) - idiom meaning that s.o. promotes the opinions of those who pay them. often used for corrupt politicians
- kleinere Brötchen backen müssen (lit.: to have to bake smaller buns) - to have to cut back on sth.
- mit Zuckerbrot und Peitsche (lit.: with sugar bread and whip) - with a carrot and a stick; method to influence people by reward and punishment, often used to describe a management or education style
- dumm wie Brot (lit.: stupid as bread) - to be very stupid
If you know of other words, idioms, phrases I should add to the list, let me know!